Restoring Dignity #8
Saturday, November 16th, 2013
“Seek justice, relieve the oppressed, defend orphans, plead for the widow.”
*******BEFORE & AFTER VIDEO IS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE******
Five years ago, a Karenni family of four came to the United States, seeking asylum from their war-torn home country, Burma. After living in a Thailand refugee camp for 23 years and having 6 of their children pass away, their hope was to forge a new life in this country. Shortly after arriving in Omaha, the father passed away suddenly, leaving behind his wife, and their two sons, ages 11 and 21. Since his death, the family has struggled financially, making it impossible for them to acquire basic household items. This family has experienced substantial tragedy over the past decade, and we want to play a part in bringing hope back into their lives.
We are taking action on Saturday, November 16th, 2013 from 10am-8pm, to provide this family with much needed household items, organization, and to teach them how to use cleaning supplies. Come join us to help bring hope, encouragement, and blessings to this family!
Small shelf or stand to hold microwave (no more than 28 inches wide) Large rice cooker Tupperware Large plastic container or garbage can with lid (to store rice in) Plastic storage bags (quart size bags, freezer gallon bags, sandwich bags) Garbage bags Saran wrap, aluminum foil Cutting board Mop bucket Mop Drawer and cupboard liners 1 gallon white semi-gloss or glossy paint Paint brushes Blinds for windows, size: 33 inches (2 needed)
Towels (full, hand, and face) (3) toothbrushes Toothpaste Toilet paper Hand soap Shampoo Lotion Bath rug Shower curtain & liner (3) loofahs Shower head organizer
(1) twin bunk bed frame (2) twin mattress (1) full size mattress, box spring, and frame (for mother) (3) Zippered plastic mattress covers to help with bed bugs, twin & full sizes. (6) new pillows ($3 at Target or Walmart) (6) Pillow cases (used or new) (3) dressers Hangers Organization containers for closet Hanging shoe rack Shelves (2) bookshelves Curtains and curtain rods for all windows Blinds for windows, sizes: 33 inches (2 needed), 35 inches (2 needed) Pictures for the rooms/decorations (cars, nature, sports, music) Sheets (twin & full) (3) Bedspreads (twin and full) Books for eleven year old Boys favorite color: Blue Computer desk Computer chair New socks and underwear (21 year old: men’s size medium, 11 year old: boy’s size medium, Mother: women’s size medium).
(1) couch or hide-a-bed Decorations (pictures, figurines, picture frames) Hanging shelves (1) Book shelves (1) computer chair (1) paper organizer (for bills) Vacuum with attachment (bags are better, to contain bed bugs) Curtains & curtain rods (90 inch rod needed) Blinds for windows: 24 inches (2 needed), 42 inches (1 needed) (1) pole lamp Small dining room table (4) chairs Lightbulbs Television TV stand
Degreaser Bathroom cleaner Bleach Chemical spray bottle Gloves Rags Sponges Paper towels Windex Dish soap Toilet bowl cleaner
All items can be dropped off at:
3505 Hawthorne Avenue, Omaha, NE 68131
If no one is home, please leave the items on the porch. We sort all of our donations here, and then transfer them to the family’s house on the weekend of action.
Schedule of the Weekend:
Saturday, November 16th, 2013
There will be four shifts available:
- Shift one: 10am-1pm : This shift is for people who want to help with cleaning, organizing clothes, steaming, carpet cleaning, & fixing items.
- Shift two: 1pm-4pm: This shift is for people who want to help with cleaning, organizing clothes, steaming, carpet cleaning, and building items.
- Shift three: 4pm-7pm: This shift is for those who can help move furniture into the apartment, build, & decorate.
- Shift four: 7pm-end: This shift is for those who would like to help decorate, arrange furniture, hang pictures, etc.
Sign up for shifts can be found at the Restoring Dignity Sign-Up Page.
How to Get Involved:
- Donate items:
We could not do these projects without our donors! They are the heart of these projects! Please let Hannah know what you can donate, and she will take the items off of the list above. If someone would like to “adopt” a member of this family or a room in the apartment, by fulfilling the donations needs for that area, let us know. Otherwise, if you have any items in your house that you no longer need or use, please consider donating it to these projects. Your donations truly do make a direct impact on families in need.
- Donate Gift Cards
On the day of our projects, we often run low on basic cleaning supplies, hardware for hanging curtains, light bulbs, paper towels, toilet paper, and plastic bed wraps to keep down bed bug populations, among other items. Gift cards to major home stores or hardware stores (Target, Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc) are greatly appreciated and help to bridge the supply gap on project days. Contact Hannah (firstname.lastname@example.org) or (402) 305-8139, if you are interested in donating a gift card. If you would like to mail a gift card, please address it to: Hannah Wyble, 3505 Hawthorne Avenue, Omaha, NE, 68131
For this project, we need a minimum of 25 volunteers, ideally 35 volunteers, spaced out over the course of the day. Our volunteers will clean, organize, steam bed bugs in mattresses and in corners, and decorate. The more volunteers, the faster we can accomplish our goals. We would love to have you join our team! Please visit our Restoring Dignity Sign-Up Page to add yourself to one of our three hour shifts. If you would like to help for a half or full-day, that option is also available.
- Spread the word:
Tell your friends and family about this project! They might have an extra lamp or a bunk bed frame that is no longer used. Re-post this blog on your Facebook, or email it. The more people that know about these projects, the more donations and volunteers.
FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK:
Restoring Dignity has a Facebook Group that is regularly updated. Please join our group: Restoring Dignity Omaha Facebook Group.
Before & After Video